Jones exits Sky News Australia - 4th November 2021
Jones is leaving Sky News Australia CREDIT: WOLTER
radio broadcaster Alan Jones has abruptly announced
his departure from Sky News Australia, claiming the
network would not renew his contract.
said on a statement on Facebook that in a meeting
last week with his employer he received an offer to
move his regular 8pm program on Sky across to Foxtels
new streaming service Flash, but it was one he did
not wish to pursue.
statement marks the end of an eight-year relationship
between Jones, who ran 2GBs breakfast show until
last year, and Sky News, the news cable network owned
by News Corp Australia. His final program is Thursday
is, of course, the prerogative of any employer to
make such a decision; but, given this is the case,
I feel an obligation to my viewers to make some observations
to avoid certain misconstructions, he said.
now 80-years-old, said he had never shied away from
ratings scrutiny but in todays world of
social media, they only tell part of the story.
I arrived at Sky News and was signed to a 17-month
contract, it was made quite clear to me that the 8PM
slot was, in the words of management, a dead
spot, he said. It was clear from the outset
that my signing at Sky News brought over a new audience
to the station.
News sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity,
said Jones ran the lowest rating nightly program on
the channel, attracting fewer viewers than Peta Credlin,
Paul Murray and Andrew Bolt.
sources said Jones was offered the opportunity to
move to a Sunday morning slot after Outsiders (one
of Skys best performing programs) or to a Sunday
evening slot. The negotiations, which commenced last
Friday with Sky News boss Paul Whittaker and head
of programs Mark Calvert, also proposed running Jones
program on new
streaming service Flash, which launched last month.
The reason for a move to Sunday was two-fold - Jones
declining health as well as unsatisfactory television
Whittaker said he respected Jones decision.
Regrettably Alan has decided not to accept a
new role that was offered to him for next year,
has contributed greatly to Sky News Australia over
the years, advocating without fear or favour on the
issues important to many Australians. Id like
to thank Alan for his commendable dedication and service
to Sky News. We wish him well.
joined Sky News Australia in 2013 as co-host of political
discussion program Richo + Jones, alongside Graham
Richardson. He then went on to anchor Jones &
Co in 2016 before hosting Alan Jones from July last
veteran broadcasters departure from Sky News
Australia comes three months after
the Daily Telegraphs editor Ben English informed
Jones his column would no longer appear in the
industry sources briefed on the decision who spoke
on the condition of anonymity said the decision was
made because the column had failed to resonate with
readers. Jones rejected that claim. Jones still publishes
a column in The Australian, which usually appears
announced his exit from 2GB last May after more
than 15 years dominating Sydney breakfast radio. His
exit followed several years of ill health and a sponsor
boycott due to a string of controversial comments
aimed at prominent women including former prime minister
Julia Gillard and New Zealand leader Jacinda Ardern.
has continued to attract scrutiny since that departure,
and has received fierce criticism from his former
colleagues such as Ray Hadley and the ABCs Media
2GBs mornings host who worked with Jones for
up his war against the veteran broadcaster in July,
describing his conduct on Sky News as scurrilous,
contemptible and undignified.
Sky News every night Alan Jones is an apologist for
these thugs [anti-lockdown protestors], Hadley
said. Let me tell you something, half of what
Alan says is very well researched. The other half
is bullshit. Jones was forced to correct the
record several times over comments he made regarding
COVID-19 and vaccinations. A clip from May 3 by Jones,
which breached YouTubes COVID-19 misinformation
guidelines, caused a
suspension of Sky News YouTube channel for
has spoken about the possibility of a return to radio,
but he is unable to return to a breakfast slot due
to a non-compete agreement that was put in place when
he left 2GB. He has floated the idea with KIIS FM
breakfast stars Sandilands and Henderson and former
colleague, John Laws, who runs a show on 2SM. Any
return to the airwaves would also depend on whether
a company believes it can still get support from advertisers
for a program led by Jones.
has been approached for comment.
Sydney Morning Herald)